Monday 24 March 2014

American Idol Season 13 - Top 11 Live Show

Hello!!!

The theme for the Top 11 show is Songs from the Cinema. One of my favorite theme in American Idol. Glad to see it back again. I don't think we have this theme last season. Here is my recap for the Top 11 live show. 

1. Sam Woolf (Come Together by The Beatles)

~ Different song choice from Sam. His vocal is great but his performance lack of energy. And his personality is quite bland for this song. Lot of contestants used to sing this song such as Crystal Bowersox, Carly Smithson & last year winner, Candice. They slayed it and Sam's version sounded so amateur compared to those three. B-

2. Jessica Meuse (The Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel)

~ I don't like the fact that Jessica gets another early slot for her performance. And the band was so off. Jessica tried her best but the band never recovered. It's not her fault. Too bad cause this performance has so much potential. B

3. CJ Harris (Can't You See by Marshall Tucker Band)

~ Finally, CJ delivered his best performance yet. Great song choice. I just love the grittiness in his tone. Great performance from CJ. A-

4. Dexter Roberts (Sweet Home Alabama by Kid Rock)

~ Kinda karaoke-ish for me. I don't really like this performance. I think he needs to work on his phrasing more. I can't even understand his phrasing. C+

5. Ben Briley (Bennie & The Jets by Elton John)

~ Haley Reinhart slayed this song effortlessly. Ben's version was no where near Haley's version. I applaud the fact that he want to do something different but this isn't a right song for him. C

6. Majesty Rose (Let It Go by Idina Menzel) 

~ Oh no Majesty. When I heard that she's going to sing this, I know it's not going to end well. Her vocal isn't meant for a big ballad song. It's weird. I'm worried for her. C+

7. Caleb Johnson (Skyfall by Adele)

~ Another Oscar winning song. But Caleb totally slayed it. This is my favorite performance from Caleb. The arrangement was perfect for his voice. A

8. MK Nobilette (To Make You Feel My Love by Garth Brooks)

~ Only Kris Allen used to sing this before. I love his version so much. MK did good this week. Her vocal is beautiful. But I'm not sure if it is enough to save her from bottom 2. B+

9. Alex Preston (Falling Slowly by Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova)

~ I heard so many version of this song already. Kris Allen used to sing this before. And also Crytal & Lee sang this song together in Season 9. But Alex's version is my favorite. Beautiful & gorgeous. A

10. Jena Irene (Decode by Paramore)

~ Jena!!! She slayed the song. Effortlessly. I love her range. Such a dynamic performance from her. One of my favorite performance in this season. A

11. Malaya Watson (I Am Changing by Jennifer Hudson)

~ The judges love this performance. I like it but I don't think it is great. Malaya pushed too hard with her vocal and on certain part she sounds like she was screaming. But it should be enough to save her. B

Finally a great week. I love lot of performances. Here are my rankings for this week

1. Jena Irene: A
2. Alex Preston: A
3. Caleb Johnson: A
4. CJ Harris: A-
5. MK Nobilette: B+
6. Malaya Watson: B
7. Jessica Meuse: B
8. Sam Woolf: B-
9. Dexter Roberts: C+
10. Majesty Rose: C+
11. Ben Briley: C

Results:

Bottom 3: Ben Briley, Majesty Rose & Sam Woolf

Eliminated: Ben Briley

I was surprised to see both Majesty & Sam in the bottom 3. Yeah their performance wasn't good compared to the others but I didn't expected to see them here. I guess the new voting system worked. So far only the contestants who didn't perform well ended up in the bottom 3. 

Next week the theme is Billboard Hot 100. Love the theme cause it allows contestants to find a better song for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read This

Read This